Interstitial cystitis is generally known as painful bladder syndrome. The condition affects individuals of age 35 and above. Individuals who exhibit symptoms, such as; pain in the stomach or lower back, should consult a urologist in Karachi. The specialist assists in analyzing the severity of the condition.
What is interstitial cystitis?
The condition causes the person to suffer from mild to severe
bladder and pelvic. Due to increased bladder pressure, the person has an urge to urinate frequently. Women are at a higher risk of suffering from interstitial cystitis as compared to men.
What symptoms are associated with the condition known as interstitial cystitis?
The signs and symptoms of interstitial cystitis differ from person to person. Some common indications include:
- The women experience extreme pain in the pelvic and vagina.
- Men experience pain between the scrotum.
- Men and Women experience lower back and abdomen.
- The patient has a frequent urge for urination. The pain increases when the bladder is full.
- The patient may experience may while having intercourse.
- The average of urinating is up to sixty during the nighttime.
- The patient notices relief after urinating.
What are the known causes of interstitial cystitis?
The causes of interstitial cystitis include:
- The epithelium is the protective lining of the bladder. Damage to the epithelium can cause the toxic substances to enter and irritate the bladder wall, causing unbearable pain to the person.
- It can be an autoimmune response or caused by an infection.
- Irritable bowel syndrome and fibromyalgia correlate with interstitial cystitis. Individuals diagnosed with either of the conditions are more likely to develop interstitial cystitis.
- People with family members diagnosed with the condition are more likely to suffer from interstitial cystitis.
- Women above thirty-five are at a higher risk of developing the condition.
What preventive measures help minimize the occurrence of interstitial cystitis?
The preventive measures that can help reduce the chances of developing the condition include:
- Eradicate the smoking habit from the lifestyle.
- Avoid consuming caffeinated and related products.
- People should develop a habit of consuming eight to ten glasses of water to keep themselves hydrated.
What complications correlate with interstitial cystitis?
- The patient is more likely to suffer from reduced bladder capacity caused due to the stiffening of the bladder wall. Due to the stiffening, the person has to suffer from frequent urination.
- The person remains restless due to sleep disturbances.
- The patient remains anxious and stressed due to constant pain and discomfort.
- The life expectancy decreases due to a lack of social life.
- The mental health deteriorates, as the person remains irritable and may find it hard to adapt and accept their condition.
What tests assist in diagnosing interstitial cystitis?
The tests that help in diagnosing interstitial cystitis are:
- Biopsy: The symptoms can indicate the presence of mass or tumor. A biopsy helps determine the presence of cancer.
- Complete Urine Analysis: The test helps determine any infection causing pain and discomfort.
- Post-Void Residual Urine Test: The test helps determine the capacity of the bladder to evaluate the severity of the condition.
What are the treatment options proven effective?
The treatment includes:
- NSAIDs help to reduce the swelling and manage the pain.
- Use of Tricyclic antidepressants to reduce the pain.
- The use of Antihistamines helps control the urine urgency.
- Fulguration is a surgical procedure, which involves the insertion of tools to burn the ulcers causing pain.
- Dietary modification helps eliminate the food items that may cause bladder irritation.
- Physical therapy helps the patient practice exercises that are proven beneficial for restoring muscle strengthen.
People who have exhibited symptoms correlating to the condition should visit the urologist in Lahore. The specialist will guide you regarding the best treatment options. It would allow the patient to deal with the symptoms and enhance the quality of life.