Individuals experiencing symptoms related to peripheral arterial disease must consult a vascular surgeon in Lahore. The specialist will guide if the patient requires a surgical procedure or not. Additionally, the specialist will provide guidance regarding the procedure, complications, and aftercare from smooth and quick recovery.
It is a condition in which the arteries narrow down and hinder the blood flow to arms, legs, head, and stomach. People exhibiting symptoms must consult the specialist immediately, or else it can be life-threatening, Individuals above fifty are at a higher risk of suffering from the condition.
What are the symptoms of peripheral arterial disease?
The symptoms of the peripheral arterial disease are:
- The patient experiences pain in the leg while standing or walking.
- The patient experiences persistent cramps in the thighs.
- The patient suffering from PAD experiences muscle weakness, numbness, and tingling in the legs and arms.
- Due to hindrance in the blood flow, the patient can notice sired on legs
- The skin becomes shiny and the growth of nails slows down.
- The patient can notice that the hair growth on legs and arms reduce
What are the known causes of PAD?
The causes of peripheral artery disease are:
- Atherosclerosis is the condition in which cholesterol buildup near the artery wall cause problem with blood flow.
- Individuals suffering from high cholesterol and high blood pressure are at a higher risk of suffering from PAD.
- Blood vessel inflammation can cause the person to suffer from PAD
- Elderly people with obesity are more likely to suffer from PAD
- People exposed to radiation and harmful chemicals are at a higher risk of suffering from peripheral artery disease.
- Smoking has an adverse impact on the overall physical health of the individual. People who smoke are more likely to suffer from PAD.
What are the preventive measures?
The preventive measures are:
- Elderly people must engage in light physical activities to maintain body weight and overall health.
- People who smoke should eradicate the habit from their lifestyle to avoid cardiovascular disease, PAD, and cancer
- People should avoid food that can cause high cholesterol and blood pressure.
What complications correlate with the condition?
The complications associated with PAD are:
- The patient can not engage in physical activities due to unbearable pain
- Men suffer from erectile dysfunction due to peripheral arterial disease.
- Individuals are at a higher risk of infection that can cause multiple complications.
What tests help diagnose the patient with PAD?
The tests that assist in diagnosing an individual with PAD are:
- The physical examination helps check the pulse near the legs. The decreased pulse is an indication that the person may be suffering from PAD.
- The ankle-brachial index is a test that compares the blood pressure in the arms and ankles.
- Doppler ultrasound and angiogram help check the flow of the blood through arteries.
What medications are proven beneficial in treating the condition?
The medications for treating peripheral arterial disease are:
- The use of statins helps reduce cholesterol levels to enhance blood flow.
- Antihypertensives help maintain the blood pressure of the patient to avoid complications.
- Blood thinners help reduce the formation of clots that may be life-threatening.
- Thrombolytics help dissolve the clots that cause the person to suffer from pain and other complications.
What surgical procedures help treat the patient with PAD?
The surgical procedures are:
- Angioplasty is a surgical procedure that helps to improve the blood flow from the arteries.
- Bypass surgery helps deal with the blocked artery and promotes blood flow.
Patients with PAD must consult a vascular surgeon in Islamabad for guidance and complication. It will help the patient understand the aftercare and enhance the quality of life.